Monday, June 20, 2011

tigre: week 1

Sink or Swim

Getting to Argentina was probably the most stressful experience to date. Luckily, my ability to cope with stress was at its best for the past week. When we arrived in Atlanta it didn´t take us long to discover that the flight to Buenos Aires was cancelled due to volcanic ash in the air. The next flight was not until thursday night. All 28 of us, me being the token Hermana once more, divided ourselves into three groups. Each group was assigned to one of the following missions: Atlanta, Atlanta North, and Makan(sp?). I spent the first three days in the fields of the Atlanta Mission. It was a humbling experience. The sisters I was assigned to had a full schedule of teaching appointments, but alas, each cancelled. I have become very familiar with tracting. I´ve always known that the best way to do missionary work is through the members, but I could never truly appreciate that truth until now. Despite the blistering heat and high percentage of humidity, I loved it. However, its got nothing on Argentina.

We arrived at 8:15am in Buenos Aires, I´ve been adjusting since. Currently I´m in a trio with Hermana Peña, who has one transfer left y Hermana Whitehead who is one transfer old (one transfer = 6 weeks). We are assigned to a area called Tigre currently, I´m supposed to go elsewhere , but because the planes are iffy, I´m here until further notice.

The things that have had the greatest impact on me are the humble circumstances of these people, their faith, and how I can only teach if I´m relying on the spirit. We have taught many lessons in the past 3 days, and there is a distinct difference between the lessons where I´m preoccupied about the language and when let the spirit help me. I know that the hearts of these people are touched by the spirit, whether or not my spanish is correct. Currently I have two choices. I can make excuses for why I´m not perfect, why my spanish is lame why I ¨can´t¨ teach well, and slowly sink. Or I can realize that I wont be perfect ever, my spanish will improve and I can teach provided I am worthy of the companionship of the Spirit and swim (metaphorically of course:) I have been called to teach the Gospel of Christ to His people. The Lord Qualifies whom he calls. I will really on the spirit.

The first day here, we went strait to work, and I was so tired that I had no choice but to rely on the spirit, because of this my spanish was great. Day two rolled around and I started making excuses at the start of lessons for how poorly I spoke spanish. When I expressed these feelings I was doubting the spirit and His ability to work with my little spanish. Those lessons were not as successful. When we rely on God and on the Spirit, we can indeed do all things. I´m working very hard to apply this lesson in my life.

On Saturday we taught Lucy and her son Carlos. They began taking the lessons 3 weeks ago. I have never seen such faith. Their home is about half the size of my younger brothers bedroom, you can ask my dad for square footage. They love God and Jesus Christ. They were invited to read the Book of Mormon and be baptized. They Read it, Pondered about it and Prayed, asking our Heavenly Father if it is true. The Holy Ghost bore witness to them that it is true. When I was bearing my testimony of the words contained in the Book of Mormon and how I love the doctrine of Christ that is taught within, how it has changed my life, Lucy held the book to her heart and said, this is precious to me. Yesterday was their baptism, it was beautiful, the members are supportive and they are now clean. They have begun their journey to eternal life. I love this little family so much. They have strengthened my testimony. And I pray that it may strengthen yours as well.

The work is going forward, I love it here. I´m learning every day. I wish you could see the world through my eyes during this time, but these blurbs of my life with have to do. I love you all and pray that when we meet again we will ¨rejoice exceedingly¨ that we will have ¨waxed strong in the knowledge of the truth¨ and have ¨sound understanding¨ and give ourselves to ¨much prayer¨ (Alma 17:2-3). ¡Nos Vemos!

Sonrei - Hermana Milmont

No comments: