Monday, June 18, 2012

Cardboard Box

So this past week I had an argument with myself, and God won.  I have learned in the last week, just how much He wants me to be happy.  How desperately He wants each of us to feel His love and to be successful.  The question lies in the definition of success.  I have had a lot of worries, concerns, doubts in my life and in my mission, just as everyone passes through.  And like so many, I was trying to face them all alone.  As you can guess, four hands are better than two...especially when two of them are the Lord's.  Before I came into the field I was asking everyone for advice.  the mission president of the Omaha Nebraska mission told me to consecrate my service to the Lord.  I thought I understood.  Well...I didn't...until now.  We have exceptional leaders in our Zone and one of our zone leaders, Elder M, shared an experience that one of his previous companions, Elder C, had gone through.  Elder C had been struggling with not feeling like the Lord could work through him.  There is a lot more to it, but we'll leave it at that.  So finally he decided to just give everything to the Lord.  Elder M described it as surrendering yourself to His will.  He said go into a room in your mind that's full of all of your worries, doubts, frustrations, hardships, concerns, distractions, desires, things that make you sad, that really break your heart, things you struggle with, your weaknesses, your pride.  And put it all in a box.  Then dust out the corners of the room and put the remnants in the box as well, then give it to the Lord.  Forget about it all.  And then say "alright Heavenly Father, I have this empty room, now what do You want me to fill it with?  Help me fill it."  And He will.  no one is interested more in our success than our Father in Heaven and our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  I learned that THIS WEEK, and i am so grateful.  I did what Elder M had described, what he invited me to do, and I found peace in knowing that Father can work through me.  I filled my tattered cardboard box up to the brim and gave it to God.  I'm here to be an instrument in His hands, to invite others to Come unto Christ and Help them Receive the restored gospel.  What a blessing I have.  Those two elders will be going home next week, but I will always be grateful for their experiences and how they changed my mission and my ability to consecrate my service to the Lord and surrender to His will.  I invite you to do the same.  He loves You!  He wants nothing more than your happiness.

Smile - Hermana Milmont

No comments: