Monday, May 7, 2012

Mothers Day


Fast approaching once more is the marvelous day wherein we celebrate the existence of the most compassionate people in the world: our mothers.  Last year I studied about a group of young men whose faith would not be shaken because of the teachings, faith, and testimonies their mothers had shared with them.  This year my appreciation for my mother has increased substantially.  I have officially been away from my mom for just over a year and let me tell you, life far from you mom is not your average cake walk.
Recently we started reading the Book of Mormon as a mission.  Each of us is reading it from cover to cover in the next 3 months.  The purpose behind this is to strengthen our testimonies of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and to prepare us spiritually for the opening of the Temple here in Buenos Aires in August and its dedication in September.  I love the gold mine of knowledge, insights, and spiritual strength that I receive from reading.  We receive that same kind of strength as we visit the Temple, feeling the love of God and showing our love for Him by making promises to serve Him and keep His commandments.
Throughout the Book of Mormon there are countless examples of how keeping the commandments and making sacrifices brings forth the blessings of heaven.  In the beginning of the Book of Mormon we are given the story of a little family who are commanded by the Lord to leave Jerusalem in order to escape the pending captivity and destruction in 590 b.c. - 582 b.c. (1)
Further along in the story, the 4 sons in this family -  Laman,  Lemuel,  Sam, and Nephi - needed to return to Jerusalem to get the scriptures and records of their family.  In other words, they were called on a mission.  They experienced many growing experiences.  Learning by trial and error, making plans, back-up plans, getting discouraged, taking courage, experiencing fear, finding faith and relying on the Lord etc.  Ultimately through the trials of their faith their testimonies were strengthened.  But how did their Mother feel, not knowing how her children were doing, being so disconnected?
We as missionaries often forget that people exist at home.  Our time is dedicated 100% to the Lord and His work.  We know that our mothers and the people we love are praying for us, but time to think about that is pretty limited.  In the scriptures there aren´t many examples of mothers, but the examples we do have are precious and give us comfort, no?
In 1 Nephi chapter 5:1-9 (2)  Sariah expresses much of her worry to her husband.  Her sons are alone, its dangerous, the weather is crazy, what might happen to them, they can´t cook, they have no kind of communication, basically she is imagining the worst.  On their departure her thoughts were possibly somewhere along the lines of ¨will I see them again?¨  once upon a time I judged Sariah for being ¨weak¨ but now as I study and have a little more life experience I realize that her worries had nothing to do with weakness and everything to do with Love.  Lehi, being a supportive husband comforts her.  He says (according to my interpretation) ¨I know, you think I´m crazy for letting them go, but they were called to serve¨ and then he bares testimony that they will make it home safely.  And they do.  On their return, her loving heart was put at ease and through that trial her testimony too was strengthened.  She shares that testimony and gratitude thereby strengthening us in our faith in our Father in Heaven.
We make sacrifices in this life and receive blessings that are incredible.  Another Mother, closer to our century, is that of Joseph Smith, the prophet through whom Christ restored His church upon the earth in these latter days.  As a child Joseph contracted typhoid fever which left Him with a crippling infection in his shin.  Amputation was the accepted medical procedure at the time (aprx. 1813)  But a new method had been developed whereby the doctor would bore into the edges of the infected bone and break it out.  Hoping that the healthy part of the bone would regenerate in that area.  With this procedure, 7 year old Joseph would be able to keep his leg, which he would need later in life.  The family chose to trust in the Lord and go through with the new method. (3)
I cannot imagine the courage necessary for such a painful operation and process.  And to be a mother knowing that their child is suffering such pain.  Through her words we try to imagine the situation:  Joseph refused liquor that might dull his pain; he pleaded not to be strapped but rather held by his fathers arms; and through tears he begged his mother to leave the room, insisting ¨the Lord will help me, and I shall get through with it¨
I doubt we as missionaries are going through such pain, but if we are, we all know or are coming to know that the Lord is there.  From all missionaries everywhere : Mom, if you are worried for me like Sariah was for her sons or Lucy was for Joseph, I want you to know that I am being held in my Father's arms, He is taking care of me and on my return we will rejoice exceedingly.  Thank you for your love, patience and willingness to let me leave you for this time to serve the Lord and His children.
I know that this Gospel is true.  That through Faith in Jesus Christ we can Repent, be Baptized by one holding the priesthood authority of God, Receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost and Endure Faithfully to the end. I will receive strength to repent and change, to go to church each Sunday, to take the sacrament and renew the promises that I made at Baptism to always remember Christ and His sacrifice, take His name upon me and keep His commandments.  Christ is my Savior and through Him I am healed.  God is my Father in Heaven, He loves me and cares for me. I know that He knows me personally.  The Church of Jesus Christ has been restored for us in our time, the Latter days, through the prophet Joseph Smith who was called of God to do so.  Through the spirit of revelation he translated the Book of Mormon.  I am convinced that through its pages we develop a love so deep for our Savior and an understanding of His teachings in their Fullness.  I have read it, pondered it and asked God if it is true.  It is! I know it!   I want you to know it too!  I invite you to take that same challenge and know for yourself.  I Love my Savior, I love His Gospel.  God answers prayers. This is my testimony - Happy Mothers day Yaya, I love you forever.
Smile - Hna Milmont.    
1. Nephi 1: 4  http://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/1-ne/1?lang=eng2nd Kings 24 http://www.lds.org/scriptures/ot/2-kgs/25?lang=engJeremiah 1:3 http://www.lds.org/scriptures/ot/jer/1?lang=eng2. http://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/1-ne/5?lang=eng3. http://www.lds.org/ensign/2005/12/a-prophets-life-the-cradle-sharon-vermont?lang=eng

No comments: